Winter floor care can be a daunting task for jan-san crews and facility managers. The constant battle against ice melt residues and potential damage to the surface of your floors can make the maintenance process seem like an unending struggle. But the more you know, the easier it is to protect your floors!
Here’s a few things to keep in mind if you’re experiencing frustration over ice melt residues or other winter flooring problems.
How Ice Melt Effects Your Flooring
Using ice melt during winter is essential for safety, but it brings its own set of challenges on carpets and hard flooring surfaces. After using ice melt, you may experience:
- Staining: Some ice melt salts contain minerals and impurities that cause staining on carpets and flooring. The stains can be difficult to remove and can be particularly noticeable on light-colored surfaces.
- Corrosion: Certain types of ice melt salts, such as calcium chloride and magnesium chloride, can be corrosive. If these salts come into contact with metal thresholds and door jams, it can lead to corrosion over time.
- Dulling or discoloration: Ice melt salts can contribute to dulling and discoloration of carpet and flooring, especially if left in contact with the surface for extended periods.
- Residue buildup: Residue from ice melts can accumulate on the surface of carpets and flooring, creating a gritty texture. This abrasive residue shortens the lifespan of the carpet and quickly dulls polished floor surfaces.
- Moisture: Wood floors are particularly susceptible to damage from moisture. Ice melt salts, if not promptly cleaned up, can contribute to the absorption of moisture by wood, leading to warping, cupping, and other forms of damage.
Powerful Solutions for the Winter Woes
At Midlab, we understand your need to protect your investment during harsh climates and impress everyone who walks through your doors. We’re proud to offer a wide range of products designed to help fight the adverse effects of ice melt salts; however, this time of year, we especially recommend the MAXIM® Winter Rinse Neutralizing Cleaner.
A true neutralizing cleaner, this powerful product works to eliminate salts and hard water ions without leaving behind a film or residue. Its versatility makes it suitable for various applications, from damp mopping to carpet bonnet cleaning, so it’s a great choice for your product line-up!
Floor It with a MAXIM® Floor Care Program
When it comes to achieving the floor care results you want, teaming up with the right cleaning partner is crucial. At Midlab, we understand the challenges faced by those in the commercial cleaning industry. That’s why we strive to not only make floor care more effective and efficient, but also transform it into a pleasant experience.
In an industry where flooring materials and styles continue to evolve, we’ve been a trusted partner for more than 40 years, consistently developing innovative solutions to keep your Everything Clean in facilities across the nation. We want to know: How can we help you next?
Ready to learn more about the benefits of maximized floor care? Head to MaximFloorCare.com to learn about our cleaning products and long-term maintenance solutions.
To become a MAXIM® cleaning chemical distributor, you can call (800) 467-6294 or email email@example.com to get started with a Midlab representative.